Thursday, April 28, 2016

Astronomy Article Collage

Shoot for the Stars

         In class today we were to make a collage with articles that involve astronomy. I used the tool, lino to create my collage. It was an easy tool to use. All you do is upload a picture or video and then you can use a post-it to write a comment about the picture. 
        In mine I used a picture of a the article's cover or a picture of what the article is talking about. Then I would put the link in with a brief summary about what the article was about on the post it next to the picture. This made it easy to organize and see what each article was clearly about and how to get it fast. I am actually using lino again in my other class to make a collage because I liked using it so much. 
       My articles were all from scholarly resources. I got my articles from Newsela, New York Times, Science Magazines, and NASA. I chose to use these sources because I know they would never give me false information. I also chose these articles because they covered different aspects about astronomy. For example, one article spoke about current events and discoveries involving astronomy, but then one article spoke about the first discoveries ever in astronomy. This made me realize how far advanced we have come since the first discoveries.  You should never use Wikipedia or other non-formal websites/ articles for research. These websites could be made by anyone and give out incorrect facts. 
      After making our own collages on research articles we were to form groups and make a timeline. In my group we created a word collage using all words that were similar in our research articles. Then, with those words we created a timeline about the discoveries found about them. I thought making a timeline was really interesting because it helped me to see exactly what year every discovery was founded and how far apart each discovery was. 

Here is a link to my Astronomy article collage. 
Here is a link to my Astronomy timeline. 
Above is my word collage using Tagul.

Above is a great video to use to introduce what astronomy is to students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment